Monday, March 30, 2015

April Seventh, 1928 (Benjy)

Why Benjy?

Faulkner opens his book with Benjy's disorienting perspective to show that time is not important to the sections he introduces.  His thoughts show that feelings and content should be emphasized, not small details and chronological instances.  Benjy's thoughts run through connections, and are more simple and innocent than others'.  This makes him able to give a truthful, untainted account of the family, with pure observation and no biases, which cannot be done by a different narrator.  Additionally, Benjy is a narrator of feeling, and he expresses understandings of change and emotion better than a "normal" narrator would.  He has very attuned senses which enable him to show what is happening in his world with Caddy's life changes better than one of his brothers would.  He is the first to know she is changing.  He is closer to Caddy than any of the other characters and thus he is the best to begin relating her story.

Benjy's Place

Benjy plays the role of the innocent victim in the Compson family.  He is incapable of harm, though girls run from him when he waits at the gate.  He has suffered greatly: first the loss of a name, and then of his sister, who is the only one who truly loves him.  He is set up as a Christ-figure, given his age and the time of the story, which ironically, he is oblivious to.  Benjy signifies purity and suffering, in a way which is very similar to that of Christ.  His life- in this case, the joy and meaning he finds when he is with Caddy- is taken from him, which is not his own doing.  He is a sacrifice, as Jesus was.  His parents, particularly his mother, are willing to sacrifice love, and even the knowledge of him, to salvage the family's name.  His mother commonly says that Benjy is a plague, a sickness and a worry on her and her name, as shown by her compliant about Benjy's cries, "Can't I even be sick in peace".  She changes his name so he would not be considered with her "pure" brother, which mocks the concept of goodness, as it is Benjy who is truth good and innocent, like Christ.  Few accept him, he is sacrificed for worldly gain, and he is pushed aside though he has great truths, just like Christ.

What Benjy Shows Us

Benjy's narrative gives us a look at how Benjy, and those who are different are seen, are treated.  He is scorned, which shows us how much the Compsons would give up for appearances.  He shows us that the family is deep-set in following what it perceives to be the norms.  He also shows us that the family is falling from its traditional standings, which he himself does not actually grasp.  He illustrates that what was once family's land (the Pasture) has become a golf course.  This shows us that the family is poor enough that it needs to sell land.  He also relates Roskus's quote that tells of coming doom, "Taint no luck in this place".  The family's failing struggle to hold on to dying values is seen in the South as a whole, as it too is fighting against changing times.  Benjy himself cannot sense time, but he can show how it affects those around him.  Benjy, just like everyone in the work so far, admires the past, and hates the change that comes to him.  His need for constituency shows us that both the times around him and his family are changing negatively.  The traditional family, and the South, are passing into hardship.

Benjy questions time and epitomizes innocence and sacrifice.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with your idea of time. I believe that the message faulkner is giving us is timeless. I like your connection between Benjy and Jesus. I didn't really understand how the two connected until I read your blog. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That was a really good blog. Maria you are amazing at analyzing literature. Firstly I enjoyed how you split it up into specific parts for questions you were answering. It made it easier to understand that way. I also found it interesting how you said that Benjy's name was changed to keep the family pure. I never thought of it that way and that was a good point. I also enjoyed the part where you mentioned the family's values were dying just as their land was (since they were from the south). That is an interesting and insightful point. As a result of this impressive blog, I feel as though I can pull the question: would you like to be a backup for Faulk Talks? In case Tyler or me get hurt or sick or disappear you can be the first one to fill in. Sound good? Let me knkw, thanks. Amazing blog post loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THE FOLLOWING COMMENT WAS BY MADDIE SMITH! I accedentally hit the remove comment on the comment moderatation but she said:
    Very interesting! I particularly liked your thoughts on Benjy as a Christ-figure. Even if I was told that this parallel existed, it makes the most sense when you linked together his suffering caused by his family and the suffering of Jesus. Surprisingly, it was something I had not thought of as in depth as you and changed how I see Benjy in the novel for sure.

    I AM SORRY MADDIE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said lots of thing that I never realized before. The most striking thing you said was the connection that Benjy is a sacrifice like Jesus was. That insight put a new perspective on Benjy's character, and what he could symbolize later in the book. Your post was very well written. Superb Job!

    ReplyDelete